Background





Tuesday, August 21, 2012

School Supplies

Back to school is an emotional time for all parents.  You are either excited they are FINALLY going back or nervous or sad they are going back.  As a parent of a child with Type 1 diabetes nervousness, stress doesn't begin to describe how I feel.  Don't get me wrong I am very excited they are going back, but will also miss them terribly while they are gone. (I could and will write a whole post all about that but today supplies.)

Over the last few weeks we have been buying all Austin's and Brianna's school supplies.  We also purchased everything Brianna needs for school to care for her diabetes.

Here is what most kids Brianna's age will take back to school, you know all the standard supplies.
Standard 3rd grade supplies.



Yesterday we went and brought all her diabetes supplies to the clinic.

This all fits inside a box that sits on the clinic counter- minus the insulin which goes in the fridge.  It is there so she can do what she needs to quickly and get back to class.


This is all the supplies Brianna has at school.  The upper two bags go into the classrooms she is in the most.  The big snack bag and bag of drinks stay in the clinic.  All the other bags go to each classroom Brianna could go in.  The paper is her care plan from Children's.  The box all the way on the right is what sits on the counter.


Here is Brianna will all her supplies bagged up and ready to go.

I went over everything several times to make sure that she will be prepared.  I think she should have more then enough supplies.  Today we get to go and meet the teachers.  So wish us luck!

I am trying hard now that she is going back to school to write more.  I would love for you to follow my blog, the more followers I get the more giveaways and contests I can have.

We met the new school nurse last Friday so
Tomorrow's post meeting the new nurse....


Questions???  Comments???  We love reading them! 

4 comments:

  1. My daughter is 4 and starts kindergarten next year. I am not looking froward to it at all. I have been debating e-mailing the prospective schools to find out if they have ever had to deal with a child with T1 before or not. I would feel much more comfortable knowing she is not the first T1 kid they have had at the school but I am not sure if it is too soon to start doing so... But registration is in March... Yikes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly and Brianna! I started first grade in Sept, 1945, and I did not have any diabetes supplies at school. They did not exist back then. The teachers had never heard of diabetes, and there was no school nurse. I sure am glad you have all these supplies and someone at your school who can help you. Have a great year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I really feel for you guys who have to send your T1s off to school. Luckily we homeschool so don't have that added stress. Looks like you guys are well prepared though! People don't realize all the extra work that goes into getting ready for that first day do they? Your blog site is adorable. I'd love for you to check out my blog too! http://lifeindnow.blogspot.com/2012/08/sydcms.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your blog & pictures...Pictures are worth a thousand words...Looks like you guys are prepared :) Way to go...I will be sharing you blog with MANY of the diabetic mommies I know :)

    ReplyDelete